Man Last Seen With Missing Student Sudiksha Konanki Leaves Dominican Republic After Detention

Man Last Seen With Missing Student Sudiksha Konanki Leaves Dominican Republic After Detention

Source: Mark Morales/CNN

The man last seen with missing University of Pittsburgh student Sudiksha Konanki has left the Dominican Republic, after 10 days of imprisonment, his attorney confirmed. Joshua Steven Riibe, a 22-year-old Iowa student studying at St. Cloud State University in Minnesota, left the island on Wednesday night after taking a JetBlue flight from Santo Domingo after the U.S. Embassy gave him a new passport.

Riibe had been in the Dominican Republic for questioning in the course of the investigation of Konanki’s disappearance. Though he was not a suspect, Dominican authorities had detained him for questioning and put some restrictions on his movements. Riibe’s passport was confiscated during the investigation, which led to a delay in his departure. But, after a Tuesday court hearing, Riibe was cleared to leave, and his new passport was handed over the following day.

Sudiksha Konanki, 22, was reported missing on March 6 while on a spring break trip with friends in Punta Cana. Surveillance camera footage showed Konanki walking to the beach at the Riu República Hotel, and she was last seen close to the ocean. Her parents requested that Dominican authorities officially declare her dead, based on investigators’ conclusion that she drowned and have found no evidence of criminality.

Riibe, who was with Konanki on the beach, told the authorities that they both waded into the ocean and were carried away by a strong wave. He explained that he helped Konanki back onto the beach before he fell asleep in a beach chair. He then testified that he saw her wading in waist-deep water before he lost her.

In the court hearing, Riibe’s lawyers argued that his detention had been unwarranted and that he had been restricted in his freedom even though he was not suspected of any crime. Riibe himself informed the court that he wished to be taken home, stating that he had cooperated with the investigation and wished to be reunited with his family.

The U.S. State Department said that it was still committed to protecting the safety of American citizens abroad, and officials have provided consular assistance throughout the experience. Riibe is already returning to the United States with his father.